Proactiv Solution - Proactiv "Trial Offer" is a scam

Jul 10, 2010
review #188990

Proactive Solution constantly advertises their "risk-free trial" of their three top-selling products for $19.95, which seems reasonable.I ordered the "trial" over the phone giving my card number for the $19.95 + shipping total.

I received the trial product and it was just OK, nothing special about it - didn't work any differently than anything else on the market. I would not have ordered any more Proactiv products as they are expensive and not worth it. The following month, I received a bill in the mail for $49.95 + shipping indicating that this was to pay for my first shipment of Proactiv. I contacted them to ask about this charge and was told that I had "joined their membership" by ordering the "risk-free trial" and that once per month I was now going to be billed that amount to pay for a "monthly supply" of Proactiv.

I informed that that I had never agreed to joining their membership and to cancel it immediately, which they said they did and sent me a cancellation notification. Seemed OK until I received a letter from a collection agency informing me that my payment of $49.95 + shipping was long overdue. A collection agency? So I once again contacted Proactiv who told me that in order for them to call off the collections agency, I had to mail back the shipment to them.

I asked if they meant the "trial" shipment that I had already paid for and they said no, the first shipment of my monthly membership. I told them I had never received anything else from them other than the original "trial" package which they had already charged $19.95 + shipping to my credit card for. This went on for months and I kept telling them I never received anything to send back to them. All I kept getting were more letters from the collection agency, who in turn reported this to the credit bureau.

Because it is almost impossible to purchase anything, like a car, house, etc., with a negative on your credit report, I finally had to send Proactiv a check for this amount for a product I never received from them.

If you want to keep a good credit score, don't purchase ANYTHING from Proactiv.Also, their products simply aren't worth the money they think they are.

976012b
Had an experience with Proactiv Solution?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Jes

Jul 18, 2013

you need to file an online complaint with "BBB", I did and received a full credit back from this shady company

Johnny

Jul 05, 2013 Otis, Oregon

I had used Proactiv for some time, but decided to stop using it before I moved to another state. I called and cancelled my account, and was informed that all my payments were taken care of.

However, upon coming back to my mom's house, I found a stack of collections notices for $26.60. What troubles me most is that, despite having my phone number and e-mail, no contact was made inquiring as to a missed payment [which I was not aware I had, and am still confident that I should not have]. But the lack of reaching out before notifying a collections agency is extraordinarily disconcerting.

I reached out to to them; will follow-up if I get a positive resolution.

Even More Broke College Studen

Mar 18, 2013 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I just got off the phone with ProActiv. I fell for this scam as well. They now say I owe them $78, $38 for the trial offer and $40 for the next shipment they sent that I didn't even ask for and haven't even received. I will NEVER use ProActiv again. No matter how good it works.

sissie

Feb 04, 2013 L'ancienne-Lorette, Quebec

I ordered proactive an paid $19.95 for 4 products an got the dark spot remover free. Then a few months later I received a letter in the mail saying I owed $59.98 more an I didn't order nothing else from you or your company. You are dishonest an I don't like how you have did me an other's on here that I have read about I know not to trust you an your advertising on tv. :eek : :( 8)

Matt & Ava

Jul 12, 2012

Same initial experience as Zipperten who we thank, as well as others, for advising the public of this scam. If they use USPS they ought to be turned in for mail fraud, otherwise FTC. We tried to cancel special initial offer for $19.95 and were told after they had our credit card number that we would have to contact US Air MC. As the billing hadn't been made yet, we could not challenge charge and had to cancel card number to prevent repeat of entire Zipperten's experience. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY ESPECIALLY IF THE PRODUCT GIVES DUBIOUS OR EQUIVICAL RESULTS. THEY ARE A SCAM AND OUGHT TO BE PUT OUT OF BUSINESS!

j johns boise id

Jun 15, 2012

thank you for all the input i was going to order this product but have since in just the last five minutes am saying no. so any suggestions to get rid of this adult pimples i have bad break outs

rachel

Oct 05, 2011

I did the same thing with the trial thing and I tried it for several weeks it did nothing. And so I called them and cance.lled it I had already paid 29.99 for that. Trial set which the bottles were tiny and they told me it was supposedly a 60 day amount hahahahaha yea right well anyways my account was supposed to be cancelled and that I would receive no more shipmants we'll just today 8 months after the trial they sent me a huge set. For 90 bucks and I called them and told them that I did not order it I do not want it and I am not paying for it that my account was supposed to be cancelled and they told me they opened a new account for me with out my permission wtf I told them they better cancell both or I will be calling my lawyer so they said send back the box unopened that I have to pay to send it back even though I did not order it they have to get it withn 7 to 10 days or I will be charged full amount. Proactive is a terrible solution

Sophie Morgenbrot

Feb 21, 2011

I was just about to order proactic solutions. Then I decided before orderingnit online i should google it first vthank goodness I found these comments. I will definately NOT be ordering it now. Thanks!

Kerryn

Nov 20, 2010

I ordered ONE product - a body lotion - and then got send a 4PC OFM CONT OFFER containing four products that I did not order. This came complete with a charge to my credit card of $102.85. When I called to complain I was told that all customers who place an order are 'automatically signed up' for more orders. Be very wary of this company.

concerned

Jul 20, 2010

Hi zipperten,
I'm in a similar situation as you, and wanted to know, what collection agency did they use? I'm getting my collection letters from a firm called SKO Brenner, and they told me they don't report to credit bureaus. I could go more into depth, but I really don't want to bore you, unless you want to hear it. I've basically been ignoring the collection agency, because, like you, this isn't a legitimate debt. I've been interviewing for jobs recently, though, and they all involve background/credit checks. In a flash of fear, I thought, 'what if this b/s debt is on my credit report and prevents me from landing a job?' so i dusted off a notice of delinquency from SKO Brenner from about 3 months ago and called them. Real calmly, I asked if my debt was going to be reported to a credit bureau, to which I was answered by the claim that they don't report anything to any agencies. I told her again that I wouldn't be paying this debt since it won't seem to affect me in anyway (sure, more junkmail, but whatever). Anyway, sorry for rambling, but I'm really interested in hearing about your story with the collection agency.

Zipperten

Jul 14, 2010

Seamus - shame on you for saying it's not a scam because you need to read the fine print. The definition of the word "scam" is "a deceptive act or operation." This trial offer from Proactiv is most definitely a scam since there is no "fine print in their commercials that plainly states you will be charged for a continued supply" as you state. And while there may be some very "fine print" somewhere in one or two of "their ads," I have read several of their advertisements, even on their own website, and there is nothing that talks indicates a charge for a monthly supply. Even on their own website, this is the wording Proactiv uses: "When you order, you can register to receive a free membership as an ActivMember" and "When you order and create an ActivMember account, you are automatically upgraded to Preferred Customer status with many exclusive ActivMember benefits including conventient, timely replenishment." I have searched but have yet to find any wording that states you will be charged monthly for a continued supply, especially even if you don't register for it. This is a "deceptive operation" and therefore I am correct in calling this trial offer a scam.

seamus

Jul 13, 2010

it's not a scam, you need to read the fine print in their ads and commercials, they plainly state that you will be charged monthly for a continued supply.

Jennjen

Mar 05, 2013 Buffalo, New York

I agree these people need to read the fine print!!!!!.Which clearly states it's auto shipments.Also when you get your product it states it on there box where the invoice is.By the way these people need to give it atleast 8 weeks for it to work also.I've only been using it a week and everyone around me and including myself can see a big difference in my skin.....I love proactiv..NOT A SCAM!!!!!!.

saturner

Jul 12, 2010

gosh! I am having the same problem!!!!
My husband purchased the "risk-free trial" and after that was coming bills and bills, I try to call and they said it was "joined their membership" we did the same you did and they just ignored us. Because the collections agency now is calling us and this is on his credit report. We don't know what to do, because how we pay for something we never agreed and never received??

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Proactiv Solution.
Filing a new complaint about
×